Next Thursday I will lecture about text input on mobiles, with notes (updated) here, and images here. Please read the following papers in preparation:
- Seungyon Lee and Shumin Zhai. 2009. The performance of touch screen soft buttons. In Proceedings of the 27th international conference on Human factors in computing systems (CHI '09). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 309-318.
- Antal van den Bosch and Toine Bogers. 2008. Efficient context-sensitive word completion for mobile devices. In Proceedings of the 10th international conference on Human computer interaction with mobile devices and services (MobileHCI '08). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 465-470.
- Lewis, James R.; Commarford, Patrick M.; Kennedy, Peter J.; Sadowski, Wallace J. 2008. Handheld Electronic Devices. Reviews of Human Factors and Ergonomics, 4, 105-148. For this week, please read only the "Alphanumeric input" section.
Other papers of interest:
- Zhai, S., Kristensson, P.O., Gong, P., Greiner, M., Peng, S., Liu, L. Dunnigan, A., Shapewriter on the iPhone: from the laboratory to the real world. ACM CHI 2009 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems Extended Abstracts. pp. 2667-2670.
- Tim Paek, Kenghao Chang, Itai Almog, Eric Badger, and Tirthankar Sengupta. 2010. A practical examination of multimodal feedback and guidance signals for mobile touchscreen keyboards. In Proceedings of the 12th international conference on Human computer interaction with mobile devices and services (MobileHCI '10). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 365-368.